I am reading about Phonology. Never thought it would be this difficult!
After many years of taking English classes and going to school, this is the first time I have the opportunity to learn about phonology. It's been a challenge but I love doing so! I can't wait to teach my future students about phonology.
As a multiple subjects credential student, I learned about a couple of methods of teaching how to read. One method is called whole language approach. This approach is when a child learns to recognize words in books that have "predictable" text with pictures. For example, 1)the water is cold (a picture of water and someone who is expressing chills) 2)the water is hot (picture of steamy water) 3) the water is blue (picture of water that looks blue), etc. There are a number of books that are like this. First you read and point to each word and then have the child say it with you, and finally the child should try to read back on their own or the child can chime in on the memorized words. Children also need to memorize to read "high frequency words." Words such as: "like, is, am, for, and, he, she, I, the, etc.," are called high frequency words. The other approach is phonics and children should be taught to sound out words. This should be taught systematically. First a child may learn "cvc(consonant-vowel-consonant," words such as "cat" "pat" "sat" etc. Then a child can learn "cvcc" "ccvc" "cvce," etc. Teaching words within context is also important and that's when you have children sound out a word and then have them point out to those words in text.
Lily: i understand you about Phonetics. It is very difficult. I asked 5 people at work to help me and no one knew how to help me...maybe that makes you feel better!
As a multiple subjects credential student, I learned about a couple of methods of teaching how to read. One method is called whole language approach. This approach is when a child learns to recognize words in books that have "predictable" text with pictures. For example, 1)the water is cold (a picture of water and someone who is expressing chills) 2)the water is hot (picture of steamy water) 3) the water is blue (picture of water that looks blue), etc. There are a number of books that are like this. First you read and point to each word and then have the child say it with you, and finally the child should try to read back on their own or the child can chime in on the memorized words. Children also need to memorize to read "high frequency words." Words such as: "like, is, am, for, and, he, she, I, the, etc.," are called high frequency words. The other approach is phonics and children should be taught to sound out words. This should be taught systematically. First a child may learn "cvc(consonant-vowel-consonant," words such as "cat" "pat" "sat" etc. Then a child can learn "cvcc" "ccvc" "cvce," etc. Teaching words within context is also important and that's when you have children sound out a word and then have them point out to those words in text.
ReplyDeleteThank you for the info. I would try these strategies. By the way, any books you may recommend?
ReplyDeleteThank you,Summer for the amazing information!
ReplyDeleteLily: i understand you about Phonetics. It is very difficult. I asked 5 people at work to help me and no one knew how to help me...maybe that makes you feel better!
Yes! I did the same. They had no idea about such a topic. Thanks though.
ReplyDelete